Senior IT Data Solution Architect (Remote Opportunity)
Company: Smithfield Foods
Posted on: May 6, 2022
Senior IT Data Solution Architect (Remote Opportunity)
US-VA-Smithfield - US-IL-Lisle
Corporate - Day Shift
IndSPR- Information Technology
Are you an Information Technology professional looking for a
fast-paced, challenging and transformational environment, where you
can make a difference? Smithfield Foods, one of the country's top
consumer packaged goods companies, is looking for you! Our
Information Technology and Transformation (IT&T) team seeks
focused and driven candidates who are excited about communicating
new ideas and delivering first-class technical solutions to meet
the demands of a growing business. We foster a culture that values
everyone's creativity, our environment and the communities in which
The IT Sr. Data Solution Architect is an expert in the technologies
used to capture and process data for analytics use cases. The
position that requires an individual who can design and deliver
enterprise information strategies and architectures for various
business analytics domains across a disparate and evolving
landscape of systems, data sources and technologies. The Sr. Data
Architect will act as a leader in major analytics platform
design/deployment/improvement efforts. The Sr. Data Architect will
play a major role in the redesign of Smithfield's data engineering
landscape to support speed, a wide variety of internal and external
data sources and accessibility/usability of data. The successful
candidate will be deeply involved in the design of the entire data
engineering stack - including storage, compute, orchestration,
access control, source code control and CI/CD. In addition, the
successful candidate work with other data architects and data
engineers to develop data pipeline "design patterns" to streamline
the data pipeline build/deploy process and reduce time-to-market.
For complex data engineering needs, the successful candidate will
work with data engineers and analysts to identify the relevant
design patterns and incorporate them into comprehensive solutions
to be built by the data engineer. The Sr. Data Architect answers
the question "s this possible, and how can we do it?"
- Assist in leading data platform design
and deployment including the following components: data ingestion,
data storage, compute, pipeline orchestration, source code control,
CI/CD, access control.
- Partner with data engineers and analysts to develop reusable
data pipeline design patterns.
- Design and develop physical data models (data lakes and data
warehouses) utilizing dimensional modeling concepts.
- Work with IT teams, business analysts, and data analytics teams
to understand needs of data consumers and design solutions.
- Serve as a principal advisor for domain technology architecture
- Create and maintain enterprise analytics data architecture
- Collaborate with the IT Data Governance team in defining and
managing standards, guidelines, and processes.
- Participate in the selection of emerging technologies for data
management, storage, and analytics.
- Present project designs and architectural roadmaps to the
relevant governance committees and implementation teams.
- Continuous improvement of existing data architecture,
delivering reusable services and cost saving opportunities in line
with the policies and standards of the group.
- Provide mentoring and coaching for architects, engineers and
analysts within the IT and Business Analytics groups.The above
statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of
work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not
intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties,
and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other
duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's Degree from a regionally accredited four-year
college or university in Computer Science, Information Systems or a
related field and 5+ years of relevant professional experience, or
equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Minimum of 5+ years' experience in the design, deployment and
management of analytics data processing systems and architectures,
- Expert knowledge of data management, data integration and data
platform development techniques
- Expert knowledge of SQL programming, including demonstrated
experience with a combination of functions, stored procedures,
cursors, common table expressions, dynamic SQL, data pivoting,
query optimization, correlated subqueries, windowing functions,
error handling and merge operations
- Expert knowledge of the Python programming language, with
demonstrated experience utilizing Python on the Apache Spark
- Expert level knowledge of Kimball dimensional data modeling
concepts and patterns
- Demonstrated experience deploying and utilizing a modern data
engineering stack composed of data lake, dimensional data warehouse
and Apache Spark-based compute platform
- Deep understanding of the technologies and activities required
to develop, deploy and run robust data pipelines to support the
derivation of insight from data
- Experience with cloud-based analytics platforms on AWS and/or
- Experience in entity relationship modeling, metadata systems,
data quality tools and techniques
- Ability to relate architectural decisions and recommendations
to business needs
- Experience with deployment and use of data storage technologies
such as HDFS-based data lake platforms, Azure Synapse Analytics, MS
SQL Server, AWS Redshift, etc.
- Ability to quickly learn and adopt new technology
- Can work with data to identify patterns, uses judgment to form
conclusions that may challenge conventional wisdom, and focuses on
the crux of issues to identify high leverage intervention points
- Applies original and innovative thinking to produce new ideas
and create innovative solutions
- Ability to translate complex sequences of technical activity
into repeatable processes
- Considers the relative costs and benefits of potential actions
to choose the most appropriate one; acts decisively and
- Ability to communicate technical concepts in plain
- Attention to detail
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- High proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel,
- Ability to work well with others in a fast-paced, dynamic
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team-oriented while
building strong working relationships and a positive work
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield's benefits, visit
smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits. PEOPLE MATTER More than 63,000
employees globally drive our success. We strive to create a fair,
ethical and rewarding work environment. GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job - it's the foundation for a
lifelong career with training designed to help you advance
professionally. BENEFITS Our people matter. That's why we offer
excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time
employees. SUSTAINABILITY PLEDGE Sustainability is ingrained in our
culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the
About Smithfield Foods
Headquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc.
is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global
reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to
producing "Good food. Responsibly" and serve as one of the world's
leading vertically integrated protein companies. We have pioneered
sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our
industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in our U.S.
company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across
our entire U.S. value chain by 2030. We believe in the power of
protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of
millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a
portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield,
Eckrich and Nathan's Famous, among many others. For more
information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on
Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.
Smithfield is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace
diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected
veterans status, status as a disabled individual or any other
protected group status or non-job characteristic as directed by
Connect With Us!
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
Keywords: Smithfield Foods, Suffolk , Senior IT Data Solution Architect (Remote Opportunity), Other , Smithfield, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!