Company: City of Suffolk
Posted on: June 10, 2021
Under general supervision, performs specialized skilled work in
various maintenance and construction assignments for the City. Work
involves inspecting and performing minor maintenance on equipment
and machines, operating a variety of equipment, and preparing and
submitting various reports as required. Work may involve employee
overseeing employees at work sites. Employee must exercise some
independent judgment in the completion of assigned tasks. Reports
to the Crew Leader. To perform this job successfully, an individual
must be able to perform the essential job functions satisfactorily.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the primary job functions herein described.
Since every duty associated with this position may not be described
herein, employees may be required to perform duties not
specifically spelled out in the job description, but which may be
reasonably considered to be incidental in the performing of their
duties just as though they were actually written out in this job
description. Examples of Duties
Typical Qualifications Graduation from high school and 1 to 2 years
of experience in grounds keeping, maintenance, and construction
work ; or any equivalent combination of training and experience
which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Operates a variety of equipment and machines such as backhoes,
tractors, dump trucks, air compressors, ditching machines, fuel
- Inspects and performs minor and preventative maintenance on
equipment and machines.
- Prepares a variety of reports and submits reports to
supervisors as required.
- May repair water and sewer services; repairing and performing
maintenance on valves, hydrants, sewer mains, and manholes;
backfills and levels ditches and excavations; grades and repairs
roads affected by water and sewer repairs.
- May respond to requests for service concerning unstopping,
clearing, and maintaining a sanitary sewer system.
- May perform landscaping duties.
- May operate and test water and sewer valves.
- May work with work crews in the repairs and maintenance of the
water and sewer distribution system.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Must possess a valid driver's license. Some skilled labor positions
may require a commercial driver's license. Supplemental Information
- Knowledge of the standard methods, materials and equipment
employed in basic construction, ground keeping, and maintenance
- Knowledge of the geographic layout of the City.
- Knowledge of and is skilled in the methods, techniques and
equipment of the mechanical, carpentry, painting and landscape
- Skilled in the operation of equipment and tools used in
building and maintaining a variety of fixtures.
- Ability to perform strenuous work for lengthy periods of time
under varying weather conditions.
- Ability to understand and follow oral instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working
relationships as necessitated by work assignments.
- Ability to compare and/or judge the readily observable,
functional, structural, or compositional characteristics (whether
similar to or divergent from obvious standards) of data, people or
- Ability of speaking and/or signaling people to convey or
exchange information. Includes receiving instructions, assignments
and/or directions from superiors.
- Ability to read a variety of work orders, repair requests, etc.
Ability to prepare forms and reports using prescribed formats.
Ability to speak to people with poise, voice control and
- Ability to apply principles of logical thinking to define
problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid
- Ability to record and deliver information, to explain
procedures, to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate effectively and efficiently in Standard
- Ability to utilize mathematical formulas.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide.
- Ability to inspect items for proper length, width and
Keywords: City of Suffolk, Suffolk , Laborer, Other , Suffolk, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!