Director, Human Resources - Hog Production
Company: Smithfield Foods, Inc.
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Reporting to the Vice President - Human Resources, the Director,
Human Resources - Hog Production is a hands-on change agent who has
responsibility for executing Smithfield's full cycle people
strategy for company owned hog farms and feed mills that aligns
throughout the organization within the human resources function.
The position has accountability for implementing aggressive full
cycle recruiting, retention, training and development efforts for
the company's most valuable asset - its employees, who are located
throughout the U.S. on more than 500 company owned farms.
A results-oriented and hands-on professional, the Director,
Human Resources- Hog Production is expected to be a service leader
and partner capable of creating and maintaining a high-performance
culture that is aligned to the company's business strategy. The
position has responsibility for overseeing a team of field human
resource managers and professionals who, in addition to providing
support for the talent acquisition and development needs identified
above, administers and executes a variety of human resource
programs and services such as employee relations, performance
management, and the company's diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Executing Smithfield's full-cycle people strategy for the
farms, feed mills, and bakery blend plants within the U.S.:
- Ensuring human resources support is aligned with on-going
business needs related to recruiting, retention, and training of
- Anticipating needs related to human capital and creating and
deploying the appropriate resources and talent strategies that
continuously exceed hiring goals.
Driving a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion culture placing
emphasis on sourcing, hiring, training, and employee resource
- Providing "service" leadership that promotes a business facing
human resource culture focused on delivering results, cultivating
an on-going learning environment, and fostering an empowered
- Models service leadership and drives expectations and behaviors
throughout the farms, feed mills, and bakery blend plants.
- Creates a dynamic of customer service, attentiveness, and
responsiveness to all employees.
- Develops employee relationships to avoid the need for unions or
other third-party representatives in our facilities.
Acts as an agent of change that also promotes "One Smithfield"
- Identifying ways to streamline processes and eliminate
redundancies by leveraging technology and data analytics to drive
better decision making, anticipate workforce needs, reduce costs
and achieve objectives.
Manages HR team's performance by communicating clear KPIs and
holding them accountable for desired results.
- Partnering with corporate Human Resources (i.e.
Compensation/Total Rewards, Training and Development, Talent
Acquisition) to ensure Hog Production policies, compensation and
benefits align within Smithfield.
- Staying informed on new and current legal requirements and
government reporting regulations affecting the human resources
function (e.g., labor, EEO, AAP, Wage & Hour) as it pertains to
agriculture related employees ensuring compliance and effective
- Setting high standards and expectations of employee performance
within the Hog Production HR regional teams and developing
strategies to address performance deficiencies and developing
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature
and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job.
They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all
responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so
classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's Degree from a regionally accredited four-year
college or university in human resources, business, operations, or
agricultural related field and 10+ years of progressive human
resource management experience in a protein or agricultural
organization required; previous experience supporting multi-site
locations is preferred.
- Master's degree is desirable.
- Experience to include managing HR team performance and
- Track record of success with organizational change and
supporting systemic culture shifts.
- Experience with resolving complex employee relations matters at
- Demonstrated experience with attracting and retaining a
diverse, equitable and inclusive workforce.
- A politically astute, customer service-oriented leader with the
ability to set clear priorities, delegate, and guide investment in
people and systems; keen analytic, organization and problem-solving
skills which support and enable sound decision making.
- Excellent coalition building skills with an ability to
communicate and work effectively with a variety of internal and
external stakeholders; a persuasive negotiator able to achieve
consensus amongst differing opinions.
- In depth knowledge of Federal, State and local employment
regulations and policies particularly as they pertain to
agriculture (NLRB, EEO, DOL, Wage and Hour, etc.).
- Must be able to travel which can exceed 50% or more on a
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while
building strong working relationships and a positive work
- Provides leadership and guidance to a Human Resources
- Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and
evaluation of the Human Resources staff at multiple
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training
employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising
performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing
complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield's benefits, visit
About Smithfield Foods
Headquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods,
Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a
global reach. Our 40,000 U.S. and 15,000 European employees are
dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly." and have made us
one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two
decades, including many industry firsts, such as our ambitious
commitment to cut our carbon impact by 25 percent by 2025. We
believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have
donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our neighbors in
need. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands,
such as Smithfield, Eckrich and Nathan's Famous, among many others.
For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect
with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.
Smithfield is an equal opportunity employer committed to
workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender
identity, protected veterans status, status as a disabled
individual or any other protected group status or non-job
characteristic as directed by law.
Keywords: Smithfield Foods, Inc., Suffolk , Director, Human Resources - Hog Production, Other , Smithfield, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!