Posted on: May 3, 2021
Job Locations US-VA-Smithfield-North Plant Your Opportunity
The position summary states the general nature and purpose of
the job. Overall accountabilities are defined in this section.
The Electricial Technician is responsible for troubleshooting,
repairing electronic and electrical equipment and providing
technical support to other team members when needed.
Preference will be given to candidates with a certification or
degree in mechanical, electrical or industrial maintenance and/or
related college or technical level course work.
This is a full time hourly position; all applicants should be
willing to work all shifts (days/evenings/overnights), extended
hours and weekends.
This is a 3rd shift position.
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
- Maintains and installs communication cables, power distribution
and wiring required for equipment as well as computer systems.
- Installs, modifiess and repairs all electrical/electronic
- Assists maintenance technicians when troubleshooting electronic
and electrical issues.
- Maintains involvement with operations of the plant processing
equipment and scale systems.
- Assists parts clerk in ensuring an adequate supply of parts is
- Demonstrates strong safety leadership skills and follows safe
- Follows food safety and good manufacturing practices.
- Works as part of a team to plan and conduct equipment
- Maintains open and professional lines of communication with
operations, management and all team members in the maintenance
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature
and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job.
They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all
responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so
classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals to perform the essential functions .
- A high school diploma / GED and completion of formal trades
- Two years of industrial maintenance experience including
comprehensive knowledge in three or more of the following areas:
Mechanical systems, predictive maintenance, maintenance planning,
site utilities, system analysis & troubleshooting, pipefitting &
welding, machining, metal fabrication, electricity & motor
controls, controls & instrumentation, PLC/software & hardware,
pneumatics & hydraulics.
- Strong knowledge of AC/DC motors, controls, sensors,
pneumatics, hydraulics, mechanical systems, start-up, and
- Computer/device communications using standard protocols
including; TCP/IP, Ethernet/IP, Devicenet, Modbus, Hart,
- Knowledge of programmable logic/automation controllers,
human-machine interfaces, hardware, and associated programming
languages (Ladder Logic, FBD, SFC, Structured Text). Platforms
include; Rockwell Automation, Siemens, GE, Ignition.
- Knowledgeable in processes such as food processing/packaging,
water treatment, refrigeration, and boiler control.
- Basic computer skills and the ability to work independently are
also required for this positon.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those
an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential
functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds and regularly
lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision,
distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception
and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle, grip,
or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
and talk or hear.
- Regularly work at elevated heights.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those an employee encounters while performing the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
- The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions
(non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related),
working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne
particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can
be loud when in the production area.
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfields benefits, visit
About Smithfield Foods
Headquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods,
Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a
global reach. Our 40,000 U.S. and 15,000 European employees are
dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly." and have made us
one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two
decades, including many industry firsts, such as our ambitious
commitment to cut our carbon impact by 25 percent by 2025. We
believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have
donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our neighbors in
need. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands,
such as Smithfield, Eckrich and Nathan's Famous, among many others.
For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect
with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.
Smithfield is an equal opportunity employer committed to
workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender
identity, protected veterans status, status as a disabled
individual or any other protected group status or non-job
characteristic as directed by law.
Keywords: Smithfield, Suffolk , Electrical Tech, Other , smithfield, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!