Senior Research & Development Manager
Company: Smithfield Foods
Posted on: November 19, 2021
Job Locations: US-VA-Smithfield Your Opportunity:The Research &
Development (R&D) Manager manages the design, development and
implementation of research and development initiatives to support
business objectives. Responsible for maintaining effective
cross-functional relationships to ensure successful planning and
execution of initiatives, while utilizing existing and/or emerging
technologies. Builds consumer-valued points of competitive
differentiation that drive tactical and strategic business
- Ensures that all new or changed product requests from Sales are
processed in a timely manner per Sales Management
- Coordinates with Labeling, QA and Food Safety Departments to
ensure the accuracy of information.
- Arranges timely project updates with Sales and Operations.
- Shares technical expertise with Lab personnel and customers, as
- Works with Production to improve processes to achieve better
yields and/or labor costs.
- Ensures that files are maintained with all appropriate
information including labels, specifications and SQF
- Collaborates with Purchasing to approve new ingredients and
- Proactively works to prevent process or product failures and
continuously improve product quality by working with Operations to
develop plans, process controls and training to ensure least cost,
highest quality production.
- Reviews projects related to customer requests for new products
and internal requests for process and product improvements.
- Communicates with members of Operations, Sales, Marketing and
Quality Assurance on a regular basis to report progress on projects
and receive feedback from the various departments to develop
products that meet the customer's expectations.The above statements
are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being
performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to
be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills
required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as
assigned.Qualifications:To perform this job successfully, an
individual must be able to perform each essential duty
satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of
the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited four-year
college or university in Food Science or related field and 8+ years
relevant plant manufacturing experience in the meat processing
- Master's Degree, preferred.
- Minimum 5+ years' experience in a position of leadership to
include team development and management, required.
- Experience with multifaceted management of multiple projects
and areas of reasonability.
- Able to work independently to ensure completion of R&D
- Must be able to identify consumer insights ad translate them
into finished products.
- Proven track record with working effectively as a business
leader and cross functional teams.
- Able to multi-task, think creatively, and work as part of a
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Word, PowerPoint and
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while
building strong working relationships and a positive work
- Responsible for managing junior team members or
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the
organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training
employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising
performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing
complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.Work
Environment & Physical Demands:The work environment characteristics
& physical demands described here are representative of those an
employee encounters while performing the essential functions of
this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The majority of the time is spent in an office setting outside
of the production plant. The plant environment will include wet or
humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat
(non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts,
exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can
be loud when in the production area.Careers and Benefits:To learn
more about Smithfield's benefits, visit
smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.PEOPLE MATTERMore than 63,000
employees globally drive our success. We strive to create a fair,
ethical and rewarding work environment.GROWTH & DEVELOPMENTWorking
at Smithfield isn't just a job - it's the foundation for a lifelong
career with training designed to help you advance
professionally.BENEFITSOur people matter. That's why we offer
excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time
employees.SUSTAINABILITY PLEDGESustainability is ingrained in our
culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the
future.About Smithfield Foods:Headquartered in Smithfield, Va.
since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with
agricultural roots and a global reach. Our 40,000 U.S. and 15,000
European employees are dedicated to producing "Good food.
Responsibly. -" and have made us one of the world's leading
vertically integrated protein companies. We have pioneered
sustainability standards for more than two decades, including many
industry firsts, such as our ambitious commitment to cut our carbon
impact by 25 percent by 2025. We believe in the power of protein to
end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food
servings to our neighbors in need. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of
high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield -, Eckrich - and
Nathan's Famous -, among many others. For more information, visit
www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter,
LinkedIn and Instagram.EEO/AA Information:Smithfield is an equal
opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status,
status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status
or non-job characteristic as directed by law.
Keywords: Smithfield Foods, Suffolk , Senior Research & Development Manager, Executive , Smithfield, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!