JV Baseball Coach
Company: Suffolk Public Schools
Posted on: March 17, 2023
Lakeland High School
Position: JV Baseball Coach
- Has the ability to organize and supervise a total sports
- Has previous successful coaching experience in assigned sport.
- The head coach must have substantial knowledge of the technical
aspects of the sport and, at the same time, must continue to
examine new theories and procedures pertinent to the field.
- The head coach must serve as an appropriate role model for
student athletes through his/her instructions and actions.
REPORTS TO: The athletic director, who provides overall objectives
and final evaluation in conjunction with the high school
SUPERVISES: In several instances, the head coach must advise,
coordinate and support a staff of high school assistant coaches and
middle school coaches in conjunction with the athletic director and
JOB GOAL: To instruct athletes in the fundamental skills, strategy
and physical training necessary for them to realize a degree of
individual and team success. At the same time, the coach must
instruct and demonstrate behaviors that lead to socially acceptable
character development, self discipline, self confidence, and pride
of accomplishment in the student athletes. To upgrade his/her
knowledge and skills through coaching clinics, observations,
- The success of athletic programs has a strong influence on the
community's image of the entire system. The public exposure is a
considerable responsibility and community/parent pressure for
winning performance is taxing, but must not override the objectives
of good sportsmanship and good mental health.
- The position includes other unusual aspect such as extended
time, risk injury factor and due process predicaments.
- It is the express intent of this job description to give
sufficient guidance to function. In cases not specifically covered,
it shall be assumed that a coach shall exercise common sense and
- The position is evaluated yearly and upon recommendation, will
be renewed for the upcoming school year.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Has a thorough knowledge of all the athletic policies approved
by the Suffolk Public Schools' Board of Education and is
responsible for their implementation by the team's staff of the
- Has knowledge of existing system, state and league regulations;
implements same consistently and interprets them for staff.
- Understands the proper administrative line of command and
refers all requests or grievances through proper channels. Is aware
of all public/staff/departmental meetings that require
- Established the fundamental philosophy, skills and techniques
to be taught by assistants. Designs conferences, clinics and staff
meetings to insure staff awareness of overall program.
- Trains and informs staff, encourages professional growth by
encouraging clinic attendance.
- Delegates specific duties, supervises implementation and, at
season's end, analyzes staff effectiveness and evaluates all
- Maintains discipline, adjusts grievances and works to increase
morale and cooperation.
- Performs such other duties which may be assigned by the
athletic director/principal. ADMINISTRATIVE DUTIES:
- Assists the athletic director in scheduling, providing
transportation and requirements for tournament and special sport
- Assists in the necessary preparation to hold scheduled sport
events or practices and adheres to scheduled facility times.
Coordinates program with maintenance and school employees.
- Provides documentation to fulfill state and system requirements
concerning physical examinations, parental consent and
- Provides proper safeguards for maintenance and protection of
assigned equipment sites.
- Advises the athletic director and recommends policy, method or
procedural changes. STUDENT RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serves as a mentor to each athlete to promote the development
and demonstration in student athletes the character traits of
trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, and
- Gives constant attention to a student athlete's grades and
- By his/her presence at all practices games and while traveling,
provides assistance, guidance and safeguards for each
- Provides training rules, schedule, calendar, and any other
unique regulations of the sport to each athlete (and their parents)
who is considered a participant.
- Follows programs and policies concerning injuries, medical
attention and emergencies.
- Directs SPS Trainer to complete paperwork on all disabling
athletic injuries on proper forms and submits to athletic office
within 24 hours.
- Directs student managers, assistants and statisticians.
- Determines discipline, delineates procedures concerning due
process when the enforcement of discipline is necessary and
contracts parents and the Athletic Director when a student is
dropped or becomes ineligible.
- Assists athletes in their college or advanced educational
selection. FINANCE, FACILITY AND EQUIPMENT:
- Participates in the budgeting function with the athletic
director by establishing requirements for the next season.
Recommends equipment guidelines as to type, style, color or
- Is accountable for all equipment and collects the cost of any
equipment lost or not returned.
- Arranges for issuing, storing and reconditioning of equipment
and submits annual inventory and current records concerning
- Properly marks and identifies all equipment before issuing or
- Monitors equipment rooms and coaches' offices, authorizes who
may enter, issue or requisition equipment.
- Permits the athletes to only be in authorized areas of the
building at the appropriate times.
- Examines locker rooms before and after practices and games,
checking on general cleanliness of the facility. Responsible for
cleanliness and maintenance of specific sport equipment and
- Secures all doors, lights, windows and locks before leaving
building if custodians are not on duty.
- Instills in each player a respect for equipment and school
property, its care and proper use. PUBLIC RELATIONS:
- Organizes parents, coaches, players and guests for preseason
- Promotes the sport within the school through recruiting
athletes who are not in another sports program and promotes the
sport outside the school through news media, little league
programs, or in any other feasible manner.
- Responsible for the quality, effectiveness and validity of any
oral or written release to local media.
- Responsible for maintaining good public relations with news
media, booster club, parents, officials, volunteers and fans.
- Presents information to news media concerning schedules,
tournaments and results.
Keywords: Suffolk Public Schools, Suffolk , JV Baseball Coach, Education / Teaching , Suffolk, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...