General Accounting Manager (Hybrid)
Company: Smithfield Foods
Posted on: November 17, 2023
General Accounting Manager (Hybrid)
Corporate - Day Shift
$85,500 - $127,050
The Accounting Manager is responsible for accounting functions.
This involves planning, directing, and managing timely analysis and
decision support in the finance department. Ensure compliance with
internal finance policy, SOX, and US GAAP.
$85,500 - $127,050
- Performs accounting and internal
control responsibilities in accordance with GAAP, SOX 404 and
- Provides accounting support for new acquisitions and system
conversions. This includes reviewing, interpreting and converting
financial data as well as process definition and
- Performs account reconciliations for assigned general ledger
accounts and makes appropriate adjusting or correcting
- Reviews account reconciliations prepared by and general ledger
entries posted by the staff accountant.
- Implements system checks/variants to help identify and correct
errors before the general ledger is closed.
- Supports quarterly, semi-annual and annual audit, tax and
reporting/information requests. These activities require solid
knowledge of the financial statements and underlying accounts.
- Answers accounting and financial questions by researching and
- Initiates and manages process improvements and system
enhancements for role and function.
- Skilled to lead the implementation effort for various
accounting tools and software projects. Participates in
blueprinting, testing, system training, data conversion and post
go-live financial analysis.
- Provide general ledger support and reporting for the core
business as well as joint ventures, partnerships, LLCs, etc. as
- Coordinate and manage the overall month-end close process.
- Prepare general ledger and BPC entries by performing
calculations and analysis, maintaining supporting records and
- Participate in monthly SG&A budget preparation and review
for assigned departments.
- Analyze and robustly explain P&L account variances meeting
certain thresholds. Coordinate with other departments for
additional insight and explanation.
- Serve as a subject matter expert for SAP
- Serve as a master data gatekeeper for SAP Record to Report
(RTR) business process.
- Collaborate with Financial Reporting and FP&A to research,
resolve, and/or communicate finding regarding business
- Define and implement accounting procedures for new
- Review and update business process narratives as
- Lead the implementation effort for various accounting tool and
software projects, participating in blueprinting, testing, system
training, data conversion and post go-live financial analysis.
- Supervise one direct report. The above statements are intended
to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by
people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an
exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills
required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's degree (B.A.) in Accounting, or related discipline
from an accredited college or university and 5+ years related
- 2+ years of demonstrated experience in team
management/development or project leadership is required
- CPA, preferred.
- Public accounting experience strongly encouraged.
- Thorough knowledge of financial and business principles,
including GAAP, and an ability to grasp company financial policies
- Strong experience with general ledger, account reconciliation
- Knowledge of SAP ERP software, preferred.
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Excel and proficient with
other Microsoft Office tools.
- Strong decision-making, analytical and problem-solving
- Solid mathematical skills.
- Strong multi-tasking, prioritization and organizational
- High degree of accuracy and detail oriented.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Displays professionalism and integrity.
- Proactive and solution-oriented with the ability to think
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic
- Self-motivated and capable of working with minimal
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while
building strong working relationships and a positive work
- Provides leadership and guidance to employees in the accounting
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the
organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training
employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising
performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing
complaints and resolving problems.
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield's benefits, visit
smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits. PEOPLE MATTER More than 63,000
employees globally drive our success. We strive to create a fair,
ethical and rewarding work environment. GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job - it's the foundation for a
lifelong career with training designed to help you advance
professionally. BENEFITS Our people matter. That's why we offer
excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time
employees. Also, education benefits available to full and part-time
Smithfield team members on their first day of employment
SUSTAINABILITY PLEDGE Sustainability is ingrained in our culture
and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the
About Smithfield Foods
Headquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc.
is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global
reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to
producing "Good food. Responsibly" and serve as one of the world's
leading vertically integrated protein companies. We have pioneered
sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our
industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in our U.S.
company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across
our entire U.S. value chain by 2030. We believe in the power of
protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of
millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a
portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield,
Eckrich and Nathan's Famous, among many others. For more
information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on
Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.
Smithfield is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace
diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected
veterans status, status as a disabled individual or any other
protected group status or non-job characteristic as directed by
Connect With Us!
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
Keywords: Smithfield Foods, Suffolk , General Accounting Manager (Hybrid), Accounting, Auditing , Smithfield, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!